Monday, February 23, 2015

Simple, yet Elegant

I was never one of those normal girls who spent most of her childhood dreaming of her wedding day. I definitely never spent any time browsing through wedding rings or looking through wedding dress catalogues. And now, that the time has come to start doing all those things I wasn't sure where to start, but I've decided that the easiest thing to do would be to try to tackle one thing at a time. So, the first thing to get mostly taken care of is the wedding ring set.

On Friday, we went to an in-store event at Kay Jewelers to browse their travelling Dana Augustine selection of settings. We brought my mother's wedding ring set because there was a good chance that if I found what I wanted, then the heart-shaped center diamond could be moved into a new setting and given back within a couple of hours of paying for the ring. The same sales ladies that were there last time came over to help us look for rings similar to the photos in my last post. Of course, there weren't any exactly like those, so I started to look for a ring that fell under my general requirements and go from there. 


I wanted simple yet elegant. Something with a smooth look and feel. I definitely did not want too many prongs to worry about snagging on things or getting knocked open...I am a mechanical engineer after all. Luckily, it didn't take long for me to find something that had the style I wanted, but there weren't any that had sapphires. The sales ladies then mentioned that maybe I should think about keeping the white diamond look for the main ring and using the alternating sapphires and white diamonds for the band. That way the main ring would always match whatever I was wearing whereas there is always a chance that a gemstone could clash with other jewelry and attire.

While I was looking at the setting, I decided they were probably right. I held the old ring next to the new ring to try to visualize what it would look like after we moved the center diamond over. I kept thinking that this was the one. The setting was even already in my size. The gemologist asked if she could pop out the heart and clean it up since I told her it had been in storage for about 20 years. She came back a couple of minutes later and all of us were amazed at how beautiful it was. Tom and I were both mesmerized by how it sparkled.

After about 1.5 hours of searching and talking, I finally decided that this was the setting I wanted. We paid for the ring and they told us it would be ready in two hours, so Tom and I went shopping at a few other stores while we waited.

At around 6:30 pm, we got a call that the ring was waiting for us. We returned to the store and the saleswoman handed me the box. I opened it and was simply amazed. I pulled it out of the box and tried it on. Tom said , "Wow, it looks amazing."

This picture focuses on the heart.



This one focuses more on the channel set diamonds.


And, this is just more at an angle.


I wish you all could see it in person. I love looking at it. It just sparkles. :-)


In the end, we decided that we will buy the secondary/wedding band that will alternate blue sapphires and white diamonds to complete the wedding set so that I can still have my favorite color whenever I want to wear it, but we are going to wait for a couple of months for when the Dana Augestine collection comes back around. I'm very happy and excited about all of it!

4 comments:

  1. As you said, simple, elegant and oh, so shiny. You are a lucky lady, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's absolutely beautiful. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don - thanks! I love when the light catches it while I'm busy...then I waste a few moments looking at it.

    SGT - thanks! I'm excited!

    KB - Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I'd love to hear from you!