Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Thank you for the well wishes, Everyone!

My surgery went well this morning. 

My fiancé and I arrived at the hospital at 6:13 AM this morning and went through admissions which didn’t take too long since I went through pre-op yesterday.  Then, I was called back so they could check vitals and insert the IV.  My heart rate was about 113 bpm and my fingers and toes were freezing.  They gave me a warm blanket and brought in a syringe full of lidocaine to insert the IV which stung like crazy.  Then, they gave me three different anti-nausea medicines and something to make me relax.  As the drugs kicked in, they let me kiss my fiancé and sent him back to the waiting room while they wheeled me away.  We arrived in the surgical room where they pumped anesthesia meds into the IV and put an oxygen mask on my face.  I was out in less than a minute.

I came to about 30 minutes later in the recovery area and the first two things out of my mouth were…1) When can I see my fiancé? and, 2) I’m not feeling very comfortable down there.

She said as soon as she was done with some paperwork she would go get him, and then she ran off to see if she could inject some pain killers into my IV.  I was now content and completely aware but I was also still sleepy so I dozed off while she finished filling out the papers.

The love of my life came in shortly thereafter in time to hear that I needed to rest and relax for a day or two and that I needed to come back for a follow up in a week or two.  The nurse sent him to get the car, she helped me get dressed, and we were out of the door around 9AM.  We drove the half hour home and he dropped me off at my mom’s.  I ate a normal breakfast and slept most of the afternoon.  I’ve taken two 1/2 pills of pain killers and only feel funny with cramps every now and then.  

My fiancé went back to work and picked me up from Mom’s around 6:30 PM to go home.  The boys were great and asked if i was OK.  I just showed them where they put a bandage over the IV and said I’m doing well (I wasn’t about to explain the procedure to them since it was all related to female parts of the body).  My love told them not to jump on me for a few days, then we ate dinner and now I’m in bed typing up this post.  :-)

Even after sleeping a lot today, I’m still a bit drowsy and I’m looking forward to trying to relax and getting lots of cuddles.

3 comments:

  1. Yayyyy, it's over! So glad they gave you the anti-nausea meds; that makes a world of difference. Rest up and enjoy being pampered! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best thing about my two surgeries in the past 6 years (hip replacement and shoulder tune-up) was the warm blanket. More than a blanket, it had that nice weighted feeling that one get's when one's spouse is on top. Not smothered - hugged.

    I tried to get the little woman to agree to fix me up with such a blanket every night. Now, don't get me wrong, she loves me but ... nixnay on the blankie service.

    Good news that surgery went well and stellar news that your family is giving you TLC. Don't - DON'T - do too much too soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erica - I'm definitely glad it's over. Not really looking forward to the follow up in a week as I still don't feel back to normal. I didn't really get much of a pampered break either. :-(

    Jon - I probably should have read your "don't do too much" advice sooner because every time I skip a dose of pain killers I feel like I've been hit by a truck...I hopped right back into doing laundry, dishes, and taking care of the kids the day after surgery.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I'd love to hear from you!