Tuesday, May 6, 2014

"Why do any of us blog anymore?"

This post is in response to Erica Scott's post "Rant: Yes, I'm frustrated."  At first, I had planned on just commenting, but then my comment turned into ~500 words so instead of taking up a ton of room in her comment section, I decided to just post and link back to it instead. :-)

First, let's answer the question, "Why did you start blogging?" 

I tried for years to keep a private journal, but it never failed to fail - I would write for maybe a week and then abruptly stop. Why? Because in my mind, why on earth would I need to write down my own thoughts as if I wasn’t the one having them? I know what I think so why would I need to write it down?  It isn't doing me any good.  Now granted, I really do understand that it really does help some people.  To those people, journaling is a way to get out negative feelings and document important things in one's life.  For me, it just never worked.  When I started my first very vanilla, every-day-life blog, all of my friends at the time new about it and had his or her own so we had our own private online community where we could talk, complain, ask questions, and gain perspective by offering opinions.  We could share our experiences which allowed us to learn and grow by opening our minds to other ideas.  It allowed us to gain perspective.  But in the end, comments started to dwindle, life started happening (for me, college was kicking into high gear and the beginning of a career was on the horizon), and slowly posts/updates started to fade.  That blog lasted eight years.

So, back to Erica’s question, “Why do any of us blog anymore?”  I just started my non-vanilla blog a couple of days ago.  I blog for the exact same reasons I started blogging ten years ago - to share experiences, hear other opinions, and gain perspective.  Sure, some will join us and some will bid us farewell.  The world will keep spinning and life goes on with a heavy heart on some days and skip in our steps the next.  C’est la vie!

As for comments, I could definitely imagine new posts getting lost very easily if one is following a ton of blogs, especially if everyone decides to update in one day - that could be a very happy nightmare (YAY, people are posting!  OMG, I have more than a hundred to read before work tomorrow!?).  I’ve been lurking around four blogs in particular since about March.  At first, I didn’t want to comment because I was spending a ton of time catching up so it seemed pointless to comment on non-current posts (though I definitely thought about it).  Now, that I have 1) more or less caught up and 2) a blog and a [nick]name of my own I feel more comfortable delurking.  I did notice it was mentioned that some lurkers seem to get the feeling that they aren’t welcome to add thoughts because everyone seems to know each other already…well, I read through a ton of posts and through the ton-of-posts’ comments, but I personally never felt excluded or offended in any way.  Had I happened upon these posts when they were being posted, I feel I would have delurked a lot sooner.  Alas, I cannot change the past, so moving forward, I intend to comment as the urge arises.  

I don’t think I’ve ever felt more welcomed and accepted by a group of people I haven’t even chatted with/e-mailed/met/etc. :-)

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jay -- thanks for stopping by and commenting, and welcome. If your blog hasn't been added to the "In With the New" feature that Blossom and Thorn have, then I'm sure it will be soon. Yes, absolutely -- lurkers and newbies are encouraged to comment, whether ti's their first time or their 100th. That's why we have "Love Our Lurkers" day every year. And remember, every one of our "regulars" had to de-lurk at some point. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jay,

    I'm so glad you commented of Erica's blog, because now I've discovered yours! I'm honoured that you have added my blog to your blogroll.

    Hugs,
    Hermione

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Erica, thanks for commenting back! It's definitely exciting to be a part of a community that won't be inclined to judge me.

    @Hermione, I am honored that you came by to take a look!

    Thank you both for the warm welcome!

    Hugs,
    Jay

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I'd love to hear from you!